Wednesday, May 23, 2012

High school...here she comes! Ready or not!!

Before the Mater Dei 8th grade graduation last night, Lauren and I braved the 20 mph winds and headed to the campus of Morningside College for a quick photo shoot. It was super windy so we may have to try again this summer but got a "few" good ones in well protected areas. Spanky (as we lovingly call her...long story for another post later) loves to take pictures and is very photogenic. I am sure she gets that from Doc! lol Anyway, it was fun and pretty special to be the one she wanted to take her picture.
After the ceremony, we had to take a few more pictures of family and friends. I put the friends pictures on facebook but thought the blog was a perfect place to post the family pictures. I guess I am assuming that my family is reading this. Maybe I should not be assuming...hmmmm Moving on, Grandpa and Grandma Bleeker attended the Graduation which was at the Nativity Parish. Always good to hear what the Grandparents think of the kids' school. Usually turns into a deep religious conversation and I go away reminded that we did do the best thing for our kids/family in registering them in the Catholic school system. (This too is another long story for yet another post later...looks like I am creating job security as I type!)
Grandpa and Grandma Harskamp also made the trek to Sioux City (again) for the festivities. It was fun as we gathered at our home in Sergeant Bluff afterwards for Doc's famous pulled pork sandwiches and my favorite cake pops. It was Lauren's party so we added a bag of her favorite snack...Doritos Munchies! I am generous like that! lol
And another complete family picture...crazy, I know! We never get a complete family picture and now that makes 2 in one week!! (Check my post on Track wrap up for first picture) Brooke came straight from soccer practice and Jaron was locking in his spot as family clown for the night. Not one good picture on my camera of him...but it is all 7 of us together! My motto: Take what you can get!
Had to conclude with the never-ending joke between my daughter and her grandfather! My dad dislikes pickles (hate is a swear word in my house so can't use it but you need to understand he HATES pickles!) and Lauren loves pickles. They tease each other often on this subject. So, my Dad came up with the plan to give Lauren pickles for her graduation present. It was pretty fun as she opened the gift. Good times! Oh but don't worry...she did get other gifts than just pickles. It will be the gift that we talk about for years to come though.
Lauren came away from last night's graduation with a 4.28 GPA and an award of "Outstanding Academic Excellence". Dad and I are so proud of what you are becoming...a Godly young lady with amazing potential to lead and to laugh. As Dr. Suess says...Oh, the places you will go! As my Father in heaven says..."Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105 So, it all comes down to the title of my post...Heelan High School, here comes Lauren! Ready or not?! And, so you know, I am not concerned for Lauren. I am warning Heelan!!