Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Winter Project






And it is off the TO DO list!
I started this project to change an everyday piece of furniture into an easier-to-clean "heirloom" that we could use & continue to enjoy. I think I accomplished it! This dining room table was a purchase/exchange with Greg's sister and brother-in-law when their dining room was too small for it & they needed the bookshelves in our basement that we didn't. So after a hand shake and exchange of a few dollars, we were moving furniture from Sioux Center to Orange City and back. That was 10 years ago...

Our large table got a lot of use over the past years and put on a lot of miles moving 1800 miles to CA and back. All the while, getting a few dings & a lot of "character" along the way. Also after many years of being wiped clean, the varnish was almost gone. If you have ever wiped a table with minimal varnish, you completely understand my frustration. It was never "not sticky" even when clean and just really needed to be refinished. Let me tell you, by this time I have a mean collection of tablecloths. Mean!

And so, on January 1, 2011...I started. It took a lot of emails and phone calls between my Dad & I, but I am proud/relieved/awed to say it is done! I have to admit that I did tell the kids to bury me with this piece of furniture. ha! It has fast become my best friend. After all, I spent a lot of afternoons during Reese's naps with just this table. Plus, I know all its flaws and have worked its surfaces countless times for the past 53 days wondering if I would still love it in the end. Well, folks, I do! (And I now have a lot of tablecloths for sale...cheap! lol)

Take a few peeks at the picture progress but dont' look too close... The only bummer is that the benches we use for each side of the table do not match anymore. Ugh! Guess I know what my next project will be & I better hurry up...soccer is starting soon!




No comments: