Starting in 2003, we started a Thanksgiving tablecloth. I had wanted to do it for years and never made work of it. But that year it just worked out and so I found an old mustard colored tablecloth that was probably a hand-me-down from one of my Grandmas or possibly a find at a yard sale that I couldn't turn down. Regardless, it was in the linen closet and free. Then for the paint? Well, I always have gallons of paint on hand...many many many colors of brown paint line my paint closet. So started our Thanksgiving tablecloth tradition...in the year 2003.
The week of Thanksgiving I take out the tablecloth from my closet. It hangs under a plastic bag far away from any curious minds, wandering hands and fading sun. Then we paint one hand at a time and stamp it on the outer edge. Each year is one color and completely depends on which kid is with me when I decide the color. It ranges from blue (Dayle's choice) to green (Lauren's choice) to rust (Brooke's choice) to brown... I should add that when the kids were babies we would stamp their foot. Jaron and Reese got to step on the tablecloth and seem to think that is pretty comical now.
Once the paint is dry, the child signs their own print and writes the year. The next step in the process is to find my favorite Sharpie black pen (that I tend to hide and hoard) and write a maximum of 5 things they are thankful for somewhere in the middle of the tablecloth. It is an awesome thing to see and read from year to year. (Not only their thoughts but their handwriting!) Completely awesome...completely humbling...so blessed!
As you can tell from our pictures, my table has gotten bigger as my household has now topped out at 5 kids. This favored family treasure barely covers it! I think in the next year I will need to get creative and figure out a way to extend the tablecloth without ruining the charm and pattern. (I am creative but don't sew a stitch!)
I should mention that my 5 year old son, 2 year old daughter and myself created the centerpiece in about 5 minutes. They wanted as many pumpkins as possible and that is what we found in the house's random corners. But keep focused on the turkey place settings as they are our other treasure that we use each year. The pine cones are from our trees in California. The kids and I created them for when the Grandparents came to visit. I just had to add them because they add to the excitement as we take them out each year for their one shining night on the table. Plus, they seem to take a beating in storage and still look great each year. It is the simple things in life that count...It truly is.
May this Thanksgiving weekend find you blessed! I know I am...sfb
No comments:
Post a Comment